Beach Access Stairway Repairs Underway
Please Help With Donations
Repairs to the stairways will occur throughout 2013. Please help us by
donating funds or materials. Each stairway will require between
$40,000 and $75,000 in materials.
You can contribute through FCCSB with cash at the entrance kiosk or by credit card/PayPal at the Donate Button in the left column.
How Adopt-A-Stairway works:
The tall, bluffside stairways at South Carlsbad and San Elijo State Beaches provide key beach access points to the public. These structures are heavily used by local residents as well as other beach goers, and routinely sustain damage from weather and storms.
Your company, business or foundation can help preserve these structures in the FCCSB’s Adopt-A-Stairway program.
Two options exist: becoming an Annuity Donor or a Restoration Donor.
ANNUITY DONOR (GUARDIAN LEVEL):
You will become a full Adopt-A-Stairway sponsor, and your generous donation will allow for both the complete restoration of a beach access stairway, plus annual maintenance for 3 years. Your company will get exclusive exposure at the top of the stairway, with your logo displayed for 3 years. Your company will also get the right-of-first-refusal to continue exclusively sponsoring the annual maintenance upkeep of the stairway once that period expires.
RESTORATION DONOR (ANGEL LEVEL):
Your company will jointly support restoration of a stairway with other donors, who will all be acknowledged with their logos displayed at the top of the stairway as sponsors that helped restore the stairway.
Donations can be in cash or materials.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Friends of Cardiff & Carlsbad State Beaches
RESTORATION OF A BEACH STAIRWAY WILL INVOLVE:
· Removing old treads.
· Removing any dry rot wood.
· Installing a 3 X 12 center stringer in each section for strength.
· Installing new wood on outside stringers to support treads.
· Installing new 2 X 8 treads on each step with a new kick plate.
· Replacing or reinforcing outside stringers where necessary.
· Replacing all railings with 2X4 pickets and a composite 2X6 handrail.
· Replacing all decking on all landings with 3X8 lumber.
· Replacing joist hangers where necessary.
· Using only stainless steel screws and lag bolts throughout.
· Repairing pilings where necessary.
· Repairing cement landings at bottom of stairs where necessary.
Please help us by becoming an Adopt-A-Stairway sponsor by donating funds or materials. You can contribute through the park’s non-profit association with cash at the entrance kiosk or by credit card/PayPal at this web site. These repairs are being completed through donations of time by local licensed contractors.
Repairs to the beach-access stairways throughout 2013 will result in some temporary closings. We will try to give notice of stairway closing dates.
Call 858-603-2705 for more Adopt-A-Stairway donor info.
Read What the Media are Saying About Adopt-a-Stairway: